The Naomi H. Truman Scholarship Foundation is to aid individuals who reside in the Housing Authority of the Birmingham District (HABD) Public Housing or Section 8 Assisted Housing Program. In order to encourage academic excellence and higher learning, HABD established a scholarship foundation to serve the residents through educational financial assistance.
The scholarship foundation will be administered by the HABD Scholarship Foundation Board. The Board of Directors are responsible for verifying all application requirements. The Board will award scholarships in the amount up to $2,500 for each qualifying recipient paid directly to the accredited institution for tuition and books only.
If the student discontinues his or her education, the unused portion of the scholarship with be returned to the Scholarship Foundation. Incidentals such as transportation, childcare, clothing, food, etc should be requested through the HABD Donation Account.
1. The applicant must reside in Public Housing or Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program and in good standing with the Housing Authority of the Birmingham District.
2. Applicant must be a graduating high school senior, high school graduate/GED recipient, or currently enrolled in an accredited institution of higher education with a 2.0 or higher-grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
3. Accepted into a two (2) or four (4) year institution of higher learning working toward an Associate Degree, Bachelor Degree, or Vocational Training/Certification.
The applications must be complete. To be considered complete, ALL sections of the application must be filled out. If a section is not applicable, indicate N/A; do not leave any sections blank. An application that is incomplete or missing required documents or signatures will be disqualified.
Applications must include the following:
1. Proof of enrollment to an accredited college or university.
2. One letter of recommendation on professional letterhead (teacher, school counselor, employer, church, etc.).
3. One personal reference letter.
4. Transcript of grades from the high school or accredited institution presently attending or last attended.
5. A 250-500 word essay on …TBD
6. Proof of financial aid and any other sources of assistance to be received.
7. Summary of extra-curricular activities, community service, awards and employment (optional)
Naomi H. Truman Scholarship Foundation Application, Eligibility and Criteria
RETURN APPLICATIONS TO:
Naomi H. Truman Scholarship Foundation
Jacqueline French, President
1826 3rd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233
DEADLINE: The date will be updated each semester.
For information regarding the application, please contact Jacqueline French (205) 521-0614.
The Naomi H. Truman Scholarship Foundation is a non-profit organization that provides financial assistance to residents in Public Housing and Section 8 who seek higher education. The goal is to remove any barrier to educational achievement for residents who desire higher education and professional training. Your donation will provide financial support to qualifying recipients for tuition and books.
Please use either method to make a donation to the Naomi H. Truman Scholarship Foundation.
Please make checks payable to Naomi H. Truman Scholarship Foundation. Submit check donations to
The Naomi H. Truman Scholarship Foundation is a 501©3 organization. All contributions to the scholarship foundation are 100% tax-deductible.